Saturday, February 28, 2009

Exchanged

Warning: This post is extremely long. You may skip the intro part if you want :)

*Intro part*

When I decided to enter NUS, it was amidst a frenzy of packing and getting ready for entry into University of Western Australia because I never thought that I could get into NUS with my results, and even if I did, I would not get the course of my desire. NUS's reply was rather late so I really thought I was Australia bound, something which I was bittersweet about. On one hand, I knew the homesickness would be a tough obstacle to get over, or maybe, it was something that's impossible to get over. However, on the other hand, I was really excited about putting myself out there, being truly independent for once, being overseas and away from home. Prior to accepting UWA's offer, I went over to Perth for a trip and viewed their university campus and found that it was a beautiful place with huge lawns that looked like meadows, aesthetically wonderful architecture as their school buildings with a few that looked like old victorian mansions. The campus was situated adjacent to Perth's famous Swan River where students can literally have a picnic, relax or study, while enjoying the magnificent view. Not so far away from the campus was King's Park, a beautiful place for exercising or just taking a stroll after a hard day's work.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

As you can already tell, I fell in love instantly with the scenic country and laid-back life. However, due to financial considerations and practicality, I decided to stay in Singapore and accepted the offer to enter NUS. A part of me was disappointed beause I felt like I gave up the chance to experience the world like I could have if I had gone over. But I can tell you now, I have since made my peace and although I know I would have experienced many 'firsts' there, I did here as well when I decided to stay in KEVII.

*The real story*

It all began when I went for the KEVII hall orientation and met a group of exchange students. I was apprehensive at first about whether I should go up to the one exchange student in my orientation group, Daniel. Upon seeing that no one was really going up to him to talk, I decided that I should take the first step. DB is from Canada, a year older than me, majoring in Psychology and when asked why he chose Singapore for exchange he candidly replied that he thought this place was "AMAZING!!!!!". As time went by, we became closer, and thus, I invited him and a few other exchange students to a meal at the then open MakanSutra at the Esplanade. It was quite interesting to watch their expressions everytime they tried a new dish and we had a great time getting to know each other's country and lifestyle.

I had the most fulfilling time talking to them and sharing to them about Singapore because they took in every word I said with such attention. Every night seemed like a new adventure for me as I went out with them, introducing them to Singapore, while they introduced me to the more 'adult' world of pubbing and clubbing. I felt like I was growing up and being independent in a sense, with the late nights and discovery of a side of Singapore I've never seen. However, there came a point in time where I knew the partying was getting too rowdy and I couldn't agree with some of the things they did, like being physically too close and I wasn't the only one who felt that way. I also knew I needed to focus on my studies and give up on the partying life. This was where our friendship began to drift apart.

There were nights when DB would come over to ask me if I wanted to go out with them but I would decline saying that I needed to study. I still tried to go out with them once in a while but not as often as I used to and this change seemed like it was too big for DB to handle. The first few times, he would just say something like:" Awww... Come on..." and when I persisted, he would just shrug his shoulders and say he'll ask me another time. However, subsequently, his reactions were not so forgiving. I understood that they were exchange students and did not need the grades as much as I do, and I tried explaining that to him but he wound up saying that I was being anti-social. I was offended naturally, and told him about the fact that I wasn't comfortable with some of his friends' behaviours. He didn't seem surprised and promised that he'd talk to them about it and left with a seemingly defeated spirit. I felt bad about lashing out at him but I felt like I needed to get my priorities right and work towards that. After that incident, DB still came over occasionally for a short chat but as for asking me out, he'd just casually mention it, and to my perspective, without much hope of me actually going.

Now that I think about it, there was definitely a cultural conflict going on especially about the boundary of physical closeness between friends. Being Asian, it is more common than not that being of a certain physical intimacy between sexes, like hugging, would mean that the 2 people were an item. But to DB and his friends, it was merely being friendly. Even a peck on the cheek didn't seem like something that was overboard to them. Being one of the fewer Asians to be in their group, I naturally stuck out like a sore thumb when I didn't participate in this physical closeness and I guess that played a part in me not wanting to join them so much as well.

But all's well and ends well in the sense that we maintained a considerably close friendship despite what happened. It was quite sad that the exchange students had to leave eventually but I was glad that I experienced their stay here with them, telling them about Singapore and learning about their different countries as well. The friendship with them is one that I'll definitely keep close to my heart.

Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. You're right, Sarah, this is a bit long, but it is very interesting. (Yep, the preamble on your original plan could be skipped, but I am happy to know that.)

    Thank you for sharing the story of your interaction with the "foreign" students. I can understand your hesitation to continue partying with them, but since you only hint at some of the intercultural conflicts, I have to infer that there were attempts at greater intimacy that you felt strange about. Was this more than just cheek pecks and an attempt at casual sex? You don't have to answer that. But I can imagine that if indeed it was, Asian students like yourself must have been quite shocked.

    Having been a student in America for many years, I can say that as I now reflect, it's amazing to even me at how "loose" American young people generally are. Pecks on the cheek are really nothing there. Have you watched the films Juno or Crazy Beautiful? Those stories, and any sociological studies/statistics that you can find on the net related to adolescent sexual experiences, will tell the tale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, Sarah. You have brought out an interesting difference between Westerners and Asians. However, I think this might have been a distinct difference between them and us last time but this distinction is bluring as Asians are starting to accept and imitate western values.

    I started clubbing when I was fifteen and used to have a huge group of clubbing friends. Like you, I got uncomfortable when they started hugging and kissing me on my cheeks. However, they were not westerners but local singaporean. This made me felt out of place because I constantly refused to be too close to them physically. Some of them got offended as they saw me as being unfriendly. This problem was solved after I told them I am actually quite a conservative person. I think what you had experienced was actually the so-called 'clubbing scene' where people just want to mingle around and get some physical attention.

    Nevertheless, this post is good because you described your feelings and emotion clearly and explained why you felt so. I think you have made the right choice on standing by your values. Keep up the good work Sarah and good luck for your test in a few hours time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brad :)

    No No No!! There was definitely nothing more than just a casual hug from them. They are actually really good friends of mine! Its the crowd they hang out with that I felt uncomfortable with, that's why I told DB about his friends' behaviours, not his. But no, definitely no attempts further than a hug for me, and a kiss from my friend. As for their offers to other girls, I do not know!
    And yes, I've watched Juno and I actually liked the show. I would not want what happened to her to happen to me and I really question her choices but it was a meaningful show all in all. :)
    I agree that youth nowadays have become more open in the way they think and act. It may be a good thing in a sense, but bad in many ways as well. I guess we just have to find that balance, which definitely is an uphill task.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah,

    Thumbs up for you! I think you did a great job knowing and deciding what is good for you. It amazes me how people can succumb to peer pressure and do something against their will.

    When we are out clubbing, you "lose yourself" (something Eminem asks you to do in his song) but I strongly believe that there should be a line that I shouldn't cross. Maybe this line is closer for us asians. So, I guess, we have to discover where this line stands for each individual and just live with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah,

    I'm relieved to know that you weren't groped, gnawed or in any way mistreated. It was just a feeling, eh?

    Like you said, all's well that ends well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah!

    I think I would feel ex-trem-ely uncomfortable if I were in a similar situation. In fact, I hated how my american uncle used to plant big kisses on my cheeks when i was in kindergarten.

    I agree with Moses that the distinction between Asians and the Westerners is definitely blurring. Some of us may have started practising such exchanges with our friends, but I think there are still some others who need time to get used to... like me.

    Sometimes, it's good to let the other party know that you are uncomfortable with the physical level of the communication. I'm sure they will be cool about it:)

    I watched both Juno and Crazy/Beautiful. Although the films were a little bizzare for me (I couldn't agree with Juno's decision like you, Sarah), I loved how vividly the confused emotions of the lead characters were portrayed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello sarah!

    I understand how you feel when the ‘party’ gets a little too rowdy, because we as Asians are definitely more conservative towards friends getting too physical with each other. It might even portray to them as we being old-fashioned and uncool twats, as they see us as rejecting their friendship if we do not reciprocate back the act.

    There was once at Clark Quay I saw this group of kids, my guess was that they are from International school and are like most in their sixteen or seventeen. The girls were hopping form one guy friend to another, and sitting on their laps getting all sleazy there. It was so outrageous that I swore to a friend that I’ll go and slap the skin out of her face if my daughter was one of them.

    Even though the younger generation’s conceptions have changed so much since our parents’ times, but most of us are still bounded by that traditional side of our asia culture. Which I don’t see it as a bad thing after all!

    shihui

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sarah,

    I think you did a great job in describing the situation and expressing your feelings in the post. In my opinion, your decision and actions towards your friends were right.

    However after reading your post and the comments from our friends, I was just wondering about certain issues. To some extent, I think our society works in a weird manner. For example, it is fine for us to watch intimate scenes of the westerners on the television but we feel so uncomfortable if it were to happen in front of us in the public. Now, we even have local shows portraying intimate, scenes in drama series. But to the society, it such a big issue if a teenage couple is seen being so intimate in the MRT or the buses.

    Even though some western cultures have influence us, I think we are pretty much tied to our Asian values. But I will not be surprise if in the near future, most of the Asian values will diminish. It all depends on us. How much we want to keep it alive.

    Ayu

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Sarah!

    I can understand how different Asians and Westerners can be on the physical proximity between people of opposite genders. When I was working at Changi airport (departure hall) as a promoter for Absolut® Vodka for the launch of one of their new flavours, there were many tourists from different countries who wanted to take pictures with the promoters and bartenders as we had to put on colourful uniforms and serve tasters from really attractive bar counters. The Westerners, especially the Americans, were very friendly and would put their arms over our shoulders or waists (in a non-creepy way) while posing for the pictures. On the other hand, the Asian tourists, regardless of the country they were from, simply stood beside us and kept their hands to themselves. This just goes to show how people from different cultures can have varying comfort levels in being physically close to people of the opposite gender. Thanks for sharing your experience with us Sarah! (:

    Wan Yu

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shi Hui,

    I agree with you that the conservative asian roots of ours are not something to be ashamed about. I really believe that this is what defines us in a positive way. Although, I always get the vibe that westerners portray the asians as too traditional, rigid, inflexible and negative in shows especially. Nevertheless, I am still really proud of us! :)

    ReplyDelete