Wednesday, April 22, 2009

curtains close.

Photobucket

Looking back on my very first post, I believe my understanding of the value of communicating effectively has not changed. I still feel that communication skills are important to get things done, bare your soul and spread the truth. Most importantly, I still concur with my notion that the only way my loved ones can get the best out of me in this short and unpredictable life is through effective communication.

With that being said, I definitely have new ideas about effective communication since embarking on this module; one of which is the fact that communication not only entails speaking, but many other aspects as well. I used to think that the words used to form speech are of the utmost importance in communication, but now, I know otherwise. Words without conviction are merely sounds coming out of one's mouth, which reminds me of a song: "It's only words, and words are all I have ...". The BeeGees are wrong, words are not all they have to express love (I think they know this since they have combined melody with words to invoke emotions in listeners, but indulge me). It is no wonder the girl they are singing to does not “...believe a single word...” they are saying.

This module has opened my eyes to the world of communication, be it in the professional environment or personal environment. The discussions conducted during class sessions the few of the most interesting I've had in all my years of education. They are provocative, challenging, brain-juice churning, and most importantly, issues that are relevant to me.

I thank Brad with the utmost gratitude for letting me experience a mentor-student relationship that is not adhering to the strict and rigid manner that I have experienced the majority of my education life in Singapore. I thank each member of the class for being who they are for the experience would not be the same if anyone were any different. It is through all you people that I’ve gained so much, learning about others and mostly about myself.

May God bless all of you!!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Sarah,

    You got it right by saying that "communication not only entails speaking, but many other aspects as well". This module opened my eyes and made me realized there is so more to communication than just words such as the very interesting non-verbal communication where so much can be expressed without actually using a single word. Speaking of songs, this actually reminds me of another old song too. Ever heard of "More Than Words" by Extreme?

    Like they said in their song:
    "Is not the words I want to hear from you,
    Its not that I want you,
    Not to say, but if you only knew,
    How easy it would be to show me how you feel,
    More than words is all you have to do to make it real"

    Thus, there definitely is so much more than words right? :)

    Well, thank you for not being afraid to speak out and stand for your thoughts too. You certainly contributed much to our overall learning in class and really appreciate all your efforts. Thanks once again and all the best in achieving your dreams. :)

    Cheers,
    ws

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very fine reflection, Sarah. I like the way you cite the Bee Gees, and even take issue with their premise that it is "only words."

    Thank you for the accolades, too. You've rightly suggested that it's really been all the characters involved (including Trinity and Neo) who helped make our group so dynamic in its discussion of the various topics and in the way that every classoom activity was approached, with such gusto. What a pleasure it was to work with each of you!

    You've been a very active participant, like Wee Siong writes, never hesitating to give your insightful view. I really appreciate that, Sarah.

    Thanks again, and all the best as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Wee Siong,

    thanks for the compliments! :) I wish you well in your endeavours as well. I'm sure Daniel will organise an outing for us, so I'll definitely see you soon!!


    Dear Brad,

    Thanks Brad. I really appreciate all that you've done for us as well! :) "Only words" cannot describe my gratitude!

    snll

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sarah,
    what a difference this module have brought to us! I have learnt so much and brought so much ideas and skills back with me, and certainly it was a joy having you in the lessons with us!

    It was really a pleasent surprise when i walked in the classroom during the first lesson and I saw you! These 13 weeks of working together with you has certainly allowed me to know you so much better,as compared to the 2 years in NY! I really enjoy your honest comments and your sharing of insightful thoughts during lessons. Thanks for keeping it real!

    I'll see you aroud real soon!! All the best in your exams!

    ShiHui

    ReplyDelete