Tuesday, April 14, 2009

All Ears On Me

Photobucket

I am a member of “The Dark Angels”.

Our mission is to complete a survey report on the implementation of Presence-Activated Lighting Systems and present our important points orally to a specific audience.

*Alright, trying-to-act-like-a-hero narration aside...*

I was surprisingly the only person who was not for this topic initially, but for my own crusade to save the cruelly tortured animals of this world. My reason for this, besides the fact that I like to win, was that I was concerned about the fact that this would be a very dry and ‘common’ topic that every other group would be researching about. I was proven wrong again (darn...) because of the fact that this IS a communication module and bringing across ideas effectively IS exactly what should be done here, no matter how boring the topic may be. In fact, a boring topic may prove to be an adequate test of the skills attained during this course of learning.

I believe our group was sufficiently prepared for the oral presentation, and since I was the one collating the slides, I felt that I had an advantage because I knew exactly what was ‘popping’ up next. The other members were undoubtedly familiar was well, but not as familiar as the ‘creator’ would be.

I don’t know if it was obvious on that day but I WAS VERY NERVOUS. I actually thought that it would be a piece of cake for me since I was accustomed to public speaking at a young age. I believe it was the process of getting dressed so formally and the knowledge of having an absolutely astute audience that daunted me.

In my opinion, the favourable points that I brought to the presentation was that I was loud enough, I enunciated the words that were coming out of my mouth to the best of my ability and I tried really hard to maintain eye contact with everyone. I believe I did fulfil the criteria of sounding professional but enthusiastic at the same time, with tone variation and all-the-works. One thing that I felt was quite difficult was the fact that I had to be convincing. My idea of convincing basically tips like a drunken man on a one-for-one day; to the left I coerce and to the right I don’t bother at all. Nevertheless, I felt like I managed to tone down on the aggressiveness and appeal more with concrete facts that our group found.

There were, unfortunately, ‘damaging’ hits that I dealt to myself. I could feel my heart race, and as it did that, my words raced too. They were in a competition and at a point, I felt like I was having a ‘word vomit’ when all the words came out slurred. I managed to realise that and hopefully *fingers-crossed* salvaged the situation! Another hit came crashing down on me even more so after seeing that second group’s presentation for the day: the fact that our presentation was ‘professional’ and thus, relatively flat and do I dare say, BORING. I consoled myself with the fact that our presentation styles were non-comparable in the first place as ours took on a more professional feel.

The question and answer section has always been my biggest hurdle because of the fact that I cannot practice the answer over and over again. I would actually have to think in front of an audience, which is harder than it seems. The seconds that one takes to ponder over a question seems more like hours and I admit, I was too quick to answer one of the questions. My group somehow seemed to be able to add on to the answers that another member gives, which I felt was good. There were no contradictory answers and all the answers made sense in informing and convincing the audience about PALS.

Overall, I believe that we did a satisfactory job in presenting our thoughts to the specified audience and I definitely hope everyone else feels that same way!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah

    I agree with your analysis that you spoke quickly during the presentation. However, I could still understand the points which you were trying to deliver. It wasn't as bad as thought it was. I wouldn't say your group's presentation was boring. The parts about your interview and how you think PALS should be installed was interesting (maybe because I have a keen interest in green buildings). On the whole I thought your group presented professionally which fitted your target audience.

    Cheers
    Duane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah,

    Your group’s color theme was really comfortable to the eyes, and you guys really look very professional! The slides were really clear in conveying the message to your audiences, accompanied with suitable number of words which makes reading a lot easier. And also I must add that your group had come up with really good recommendations! Overall I could follow and understand the whole idea of the proposal.

    Now to your delivery, you were confident and calm during the presentation, and like what I had told you, you did great! But one thing to note is your volume when you are presenting, because it can get quite soft sometimes. And you seem to forget to smile at your audience. It would have been perfect if you could smile more, as it would make the whole presentation livelier! Your eye contact with the audience was really good too.

    All in all, I enjoyed your presentation Sarah!

    P.S. our projectwork at nyjc years was terrible man i dont even wanna think about it! But i do remember how much you hated TH hehe.=D

    shihui

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sarah,

    Before I start my to write a review on your presentation, I would like agree with you that communication is able to make a dull topic interesting if you were able to deliver your message effectively. Despite the serious approach that your group adopted for the presentation, I would like to give two thumbs-up for your group’s remarkable effort in putting up such as wonderful and enjoyable presentation.

    What appealed to me the most even before your group started to present was the formal black and white attire. I must say that your group’s outfit looked the most professional in class. Besides that, I loved the way your group created the slides which looked so pleasing to the eye without overloading with excessive information. With the appropriate font, graphics and video clip, the audiences were never bored by your slides. Furthermore, your group’s presentation went on smoothly including the transitions among your teammates and the Q & A session. Your group did enough research to be able to handle questions from the audience. However, as your presentation was only around 15 minutes and the Q & A session was around 10 minutes, I feel that it would be better if your group could extend the presentation a little longer so that the audience would be able to obtain more relevant information from the presentation. If you are still afraid that your presentation might bore the audience, maybe next time you could add in a part where you pose questions to the audience so that there would be more interaction between the audience and presenters.

    As for your performance on that day, I found that you did a great job and you presented your part professionally. You were able to convey your points clearly even during the Q & A session. I am glad that you put extra effort to do some research on the topic to support your points. Your speech was complemented with the appropriate use of non-verbal communication cues. However, just like what Shi Hui has mentioned, I found that your voice was rather soft. Try to increase the volume of your voice to an appropriate level next time. Speaking with a louder voice would allow you to demonstrate more confidence in speech and in the points that you want to deliver. Moreover, I also found that you forgot to show our lovely smile to the audiences. Smiling is a way to engage the audiences . I hope that these suggestions made by Shi Hui and I will be able to help you to become a better presenter in the future.  Good luck in your final examination!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Duane,

    Thanks for your compliments! I could tell that you really looked interested in this topic. I agree with the fact that we fitted our target audience!


    Hi Shi Hui,

    Since Brad emphasized that a soothing colour for the slide is important, I decided to keep colours along the line of the slides I prepared for the job intervew session. Thanks for the constructive criticism! I noticed the speed, but didn't realise about the bad volume! I also tend to not smile when I feel nervous! I'll work on it! Thanks!

    p.s. yes I still DISLIKE him. LOL!


    Hi Sau Yeen,

    I realise our group was speeding through the presentation only after my part! I was glad that the audience was really responsive during question and answer though, because it gave us an added chance to portray our presentation skills. I will definitely work on the smiling and volume when the opportunity comes for me to give an oral presentation! I admit I did not dare to engage the audience in the form of questions because I was afraid the audience would not respond. I will definitely get over that in the next presentation I give!

    ReplyDelete