Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Importance of Effective Communication Skills to Me

I believe there are many reasons as to why effective communication is important to a person. After all, no man is an island, and we need to communicate with each other to survive. Life is all about relationships with each other, isn't it? Be it a relationship between the boss and the employee, the mother and the child, the husband and the wife, one needs effective communication to keep the relationship working.

Well, the obvious reason as to why I need to have effective communication is to get things done, in school, at work (after all, the textbook did say in the workplace, which to me, places a very academic/career-wise connotation on it), at home or anywhere! I have, like many, experienced the frustrations of not being able to get my point across. Sometimes, it's like people have this blockage that prevents them from understanding me. But as I grow older and wiser (hopefully), I realised that it really takes two to clap. Understanding can only come with adequate explanation. I've always wondered why it is said you MAKE someone understand and now I know why. It is my responsibility to ensure that someone understands me; I have to put in the effort to MAKE that someone understands me. This "understanding" can only come with effective communication skills.


Just a passing thought as I ponder on this topic: I wonder, now, whether it is because of the rising of technology that has placed us on this path of dwindling communication skills. Aren't text messages, electronic mails, tagboards and even network sites supposed to make us communicate better? But it seems, as time passes, the problem of miscommunication gets bigger. Be it due to generation gap, mind sets or various other reasons, it cannot be denied that our generation has become one that seriously lack interpersonal skills which I believe is a great, if not, synonymous component of effective communication.

Back to why effective communication skills are important to me: Besides the obvious reason of getting things done, the more subtle reasons can come in outside of the work context. For example, when offering comfort to someone. I really get stuck sometimes when a friend or loved one is in need of some form of relief. My mind starts bombarding itself with panic and how stupid I am being because I can offer no words of comfort. Another example comes with squabbles with my elder sister which mostly always ends with us asking each other to shut up. I really don't care if people that don't matter to me misunderstand me, but somehow, strangers seem to understand me more than the people I love. The heart-wrenching feeling I get when that happens compels me to really learn how to effectively communicate with them. Though it may seem a little heavy to say it now, but I certainly don't want to live a life of regret.

Another important factor in my life that DEFINITELY needs effective communication is in the aspect of my 'religion' (the reason for ' ... ' is because I really don't consider it a religion and more of a relationship). I am a Christian. I am called to spread the Gospel, the truth. But sometimes, my mouth stays closed. Of course, I find it easy to just ask if they would like to visit my church, but anything deeper about the bible or discussions or arguments of certain things pertaining to my beliefs as a Christian, I find myself searching for the correct words to say. More often than not, unfortunately, I find myself offending someone or just not being able to see through another's eyes and speak to them about what concerns them most.


So, why are effective communication skills important to me? Because I know the only way I can get the most out of this short stay of mine on earth, is to ensure that the people I love get the most out of me and this can only happen if I can, well, cheesily-putting-it, communicate effectively.

7 comments:

  1. Hey, nice, first comment.

    I was just wondering, Sarah, do you consider an argument as effective communication? They always say arguments help us know each other more, provided we get back together after that. What do you think? I truly believe that.

    Another thought: Have you ever found that communication becomes tough when there is an argument? Not considering that both parties are trying to impose their beliefs on each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah,

    I agree with the ideas that you have mention earlier especially when it comes to religion. I think without effective communication we might give the wrong understanding about our religion and this may cause a major problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sarah. I think this is a great post. Perhaps you can do a double major, one in Life Sciences and one in the literary.

    I think your post is very well structured as I can see clearly your introduction, your main points and your comclusion. Your points are clear with apt illustrations.

    However, when I was reading your post, I thought you see communication as getting your idea across and having other people understanding you. Maybe next time you communicate with someone you can try to understand that person instead before trying to get him/her to understand you.

    One tip I read from a women megazine: When you are consoling someone, don't bombard him/her with suggestions. Instead, just listen and let him/her know you really feel how he/she feels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sarah. I think this is a great post. Perhaps you can do a double major, one in Life Sciences and one in the literary.

    I think your post is very well structured as I can see clearly your introduction, your main points and your conclusion. Your points are clear with apt illustrations.

    However, when I was reading your post, I thought you see communication as merely getting your idea across and having other people understanding you. Maybe next time you communicate with someone you can try to understand that person instead before trying to get him/her to understand you.

    One tip I read from a women megazine: When you are consoling someone, don't bombard him/her with suggestions. Instead, just listen and let him/her know you really feel how he/she feels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a highly-detailed post, very appropriate to the topic assignment. You connect the value of having effective comm skills clearly to your various life situations.
    It's obvious, Sarah, that you are a person who takes life's journey very seriously and that you truly want to reflect on the impact you have on people such as your loved ones.

    Thank you for shharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah, this is a beautifully written post and I can absolutely relate to what you have written. Regarding the point on not knowing how to communicate your understanding or sympathy to your troubled friend, I agree that this is one of the tricky part of communication. But I feel that it does not necessarily mean that you need the exact right words to handle this situation. That's where non-verbal "response" comes in. Sometimes, a small light touch on the shoulder can bring about a great deal of comfort and reassurance to someone. It may seem like a trivial action but I'm sure you have experienced this before.

    I truly enjoy your writing and I am looking forward to your future entries:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sarah!

    I like your post as it shares with us the different aspects of your life and I thought you have expressed your feelings very well!

    One area I can identify with is on the sharing of one's beliefs as I used to (or maybe still do) face the same difficulties. Anyway, I should probably clarify first that I am not a Christian but some sort of a Buddhist/Taoist. As with you, I do not consider my "religion" a religion but more of a relationship with God and I think I have a rather strong faith. But when it comes to sharing with others, I find it hard to explain or express my thoughts on some issues as I tend to be afraid that they may not be able to accept or relate to my beliefs. Fortunately, I have learnt to overcome that fear (or at least part of it) as I grow older and I am now more comfortable with voicing out and sharing my faith with others! I hope you will be able to find a comfortable way of sharing your beliefs too! (:

    Cheers!
    Wan Yu

    ReplyDelete